Service Above Self
What is Rotary?
Rotary International is a global network of business, professional and community leaders who volunteer their time and talents to serve their communities and the world. It is essentially a grass roots organisation with most of its efforts being carried out at the club level.
Rotarians are members of local clubs who all belong to the global association, Rotary International (RI). Each club elects its own officers and enjoys considerable autonomy within the framework of Rotary’s constitution and bylaws. Rotary International is headquartered in the Chicago suburb of Evanston, Illinois, USA where it was started by Paul Harris on the 23rd February 1905. The main avenue of service is club service which focuses on strengthening fellowship and ensuring the effective functioning of the club.
The Culture of Rotary is Based Around The Four Way Test of the things we think, say or do
- Is it the TRUTH?
- Is it FAIR to all concerned?
- Will it build GOODWILL and BETTER FRIENDSHIPS?
- Will it be BENEFICIAL to all concerned?
In the year ending 30th June 2009, Rotary received contributions totalling US$223.8 million and spent US$187.8 million in support of humanitarian and educational programs implemented by clubs and districts and global polio eradication activities. Contributions go into one of three main funds:
- Annual Programs Fund, which provides grants and awards through Foundation programs.
- Permanent Fund, an endowment from which only a portion of the earnings are spent in support of Foundation programs, ensuring the long-term viability of the Foundation.
- PolioPlus Fund, which supports Rotary’s goal of a polio free world.
One Rotary Center
1560 Sherman Ave.
Evanston, IL 60201, USA